Sunday, September 19, 2010

Let's Get This Party Started

My name is Kevin Sidwar and in 2009 I started my company HardlySoftware with the intent to create a remote monitoring solution for things like datacenters, hotels, property management, etc. I have a passion for quality products that are easy to use and have great support. I set out to build my solution. I didn't like the widely accepted model of charging outrageous prices for simple sensors. Most companies brag that they don't charge a monthly fee which means they have to charge you $250 for $30 worth of electronics. I figure a modest monthly fee for active monitoring and alerts is well worth it IF the sensors can be reasonably priced. For me the value add is in the monitoring and gathering of data. I started working on the website and figured I would save some time by contracting out the hardware part so I could focus on the software. After sinking several thousand dollars of my own money into the hardware creation I got my first batch of sensors. I quickly realized that I just wasn't going to be able to provide the customer experience I had envisioned. So back to the drawing board. I've decided to just build it myself. Because I don't feel like the sensor is the major value-add of a monitoring solution I want to open source my version of the hardware. I intend to learn a lot in the process and hope my journey can help other budding hackers. I plan to cover the entire process in a fair amount of detail so please feel free to leave feedback and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Keep it clean and civil. That's all I ask.