Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Step 1 - Define the Project

Disclaimer
So my goal in this blog is to share the entire process of creating something.  The hardware I'm setting out to build is nothing new and spectacular although maybe we could add some cool things that have never been done before.  I'm NOT a genius and will make some crazy decisions and mistakes.  That's the beauty of this format.  I want to share it all.  The good, the bad, and the ugly in the hopes that it may be useful to some other fledgling hacker out there.  I will assume a certain amount of subject matter knowledge but not a ton.  I want this to be accessible to a wide audience.  If something is confusing or you want more info, leave a comment.  I'll do my best to respond. 

Disclaimer 2
I am NOT here to help you with your senior project/homework or debug your personal projects so please don't ask.  I will just ignore you.  Alright, with that out of the way, let's get on with it.

The Project
So some people might argue that spending hours/days/weeks on planning up front is a good thing.  I won't disagree but this isn't a major corporation and we're not going to do it that way.  We're hackers so the more time we spend planning the less time we spend actually doing the fun stuff.  Besides, in my experience, a lot of the planning flies out the door once you get into the nitty, gritty details of the project and you realize things work better on paper than on the workbench.  So, the definition of my project is thus:

Build an awesome sensor platform that is extremely easy and intuitive to use that can log data to a website and be administered remotely.

Alright, that's it.  That's our spec.  Now let's build it.  Stay-tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and civil. That's all I ask.